Newcastle United and Spurs handed deadline for Ligue 1 striker bid
The Magpies have been told what they must do if they wish to pursue their interest in a Canada international.
Lille president Olivier Letang has hinted reported Newcastle United target Jonathan David could be allowed to leave the club – if a suitable bid is made before the final week of the transfer window.
The Canada international has become a key figure at the Ligue 1 club after he joined them in a £23million move from Belgian side Gent in the summer of 2020. David netted 13 goals and made three assists in 37 appearances to help Lille become league champions during his first season with the club and has now gone on to record 58 goals in 136 appearances in all competitions.
He took that form into the international stage, scoring 24 goals in 40 caps for Canada and appeared in all three of their group stage games at the World Cup in Qatar last winter.
David has been linked with several clubs over the last year after Manchester United, Real Madrid, Tottenham Hotspur and Newcastle were all said to have watched him in action – and Letang has admitted that he would like to keep the striker, but suggested ‘it’s a question of timing’ over a possible sale.
He told L’Equipe: “We are delighted that Jonathan is an LOSC player. The priority is to keep a competitive team. He is a very good striker with very good statistics.
“We are not trying to sell it at any price. It’s a question of timing. We told Jonathan at the start of the season that he would have the possibility of leaving provided that we were able to replace him. There is a timing to respect: August 25, it will be too late.”
Meanwhile one former Magpies loan star is set to join Lille after Letang revealed progress had been made in their bid to sign midfielder Nabil Bentaleb from former Ligue 1 rivals Angers.
He said: “We have an agreement with the player and his club. We are waiting for the results of the medical tests to definitively record the arrival of Nabil.”