Sources: West Ham up bid by £5m to get deal done – Moyes and Steidten both want him
West Ham are closing in on a deal for Ajax midfielder Edson Alvarez after upping their bid to £35million, sources have told Football Insider.
The Irons saw a bid of £30million for the 25-year-old Mexico international rejected, but have moved quickly to table another offer as they look to make their first summer signing.
Alvarez, who was the subject of interest from Borussia Dortmund earlier this summer, will now fly to England for medical tests and to put pen to paper on a long-term contract at the London Stadium.
Football Insider revealed on Tuesday (8 August) that West Ham co-owner David Sullivan has personally intervened in the club’s transfer negotiations amid a behind-the-scenes bust-up and discontent from fans.
Director of football Tim Steidten and manager David Moyes are believed to have been at loggerheads about the direction of the club’s summer business – but both senior men are happy with the potential signing of Alvarez.
It is believed Steidten is the main driving force behind a deal for the Ajax star, which is now moving quickly ahead of West Ham’s first game against Bournemouth on Saturday (12 August).
A well-placed source has told Football Insider that Alvarez is seen as a replacement for Declan Rice – who joined Arsenal in a British-record deal last month.
West Ham turned their attention to the Mexico international after being priced out of a move for Fulham star Joao Palhinha earlier in the summer window.
Alvarez made 44 appearances across all competitions last term for Ajax, notching four goals and three assists.
He has proved a versatile option for the Dutch giants, playing both in holding midfield and at centre-back.
He has also already amassed 69 caps for Mexico and has played for his country at two World Cups.