June 13, 2024

City vs. Penybont reaction | Erol Bulut | Cardiff

Finlay Johnson joins Cardiff City

Stevenage Football Club has agreed an undisclosed compensation package with Cardiff City for young forward Finlay Johnson…

The Club would like to wish Finlay all the best in this next chapter of his career.

Remember, a 2023/24 Season Ticket remains the best value way to watch Stevenage in Sky Bet League One this season. Get yours today at www.borotickets.co.uk.


Cambrian & Clydach 2-2 (3-4 p) Cardiff City: Bluebirds win on penalties

Cardiff City beat Cambrian & Clydach on penalties at the M&P Group 3G to progress to the second round of the Nathaniel MG Cup.

Clydach-raised Cian Ashford helped inspire the young Bluebirds to victory as his shot deflected off of Kyle Jones for an own goal before putting them in front after Tim Parker netted for the hosts. Ceri Morgan’s stoppage time strike sent the game to penalties and despite their inexperience in the game, Cardiff’s youngsters prevailed.

Darren Purse named a youthful side, and his team did not include the likes of Eli King, Joel Colwill, Tom Davies, or Vontae Daley-Campbell after they were left at home from the senior team’s pre-season tour of Portugal. It did however include Caleb Hughes, who had a loan spell with Haverfordwest County last year.

The hosts started on the front foot and tried to put their authority down on the game early on. Liam Eason almost scrambled the ball home but Jake Dennis put him off after a loose ball. Cardiff’s defence struggled with Dan Spencer’s long throws and Liam Reed whistled a shot just past the post.


Cambrian & Clydach Vale's Tim Parker celebrates with Dan Spencer

Cambrian’s early pressure paid off as they went in front. Tim Parker – making his competitive debut after signing from Llanelli Town – was in the right pace to head home from Eason’s cross.

Parker was out to impress and his powerful half-volley was held well by Jake Dennis. Cardiff on the hunt for an equaliser went close through Ashford, who cut in from the flank and squeezed a shot on to the post, and then Morgan Wigley fired over on the follow-up.

Cambrian failed to heed Ashford’s warning sign and he contributed to Cardiff’s equaliser. He found himself cutting in on the far side, and his shot deflected off Kyle Jones for an own goal.

The hosts thought they’d restored their lead when Jay Woodford headed home, but Jones was adjudged to have been offside when he played the pass in from Shane Davies’s free-kick.

Cardiff’s captain Dylan Lawlor was leading by example and organised his teammates well as he tried to deal with Cambrian’s threat.

The complexion of the game changed on the stroke of half-time as Cardiff went in front and it was Ashford involved again. Jake Dennis launched the ball forward and Ashford was found unmarked and he squeezed his shot past Davies, as the first period drew to a close.

As expected, Cambrian came out of the dressing room seeking a response and tested Cardiff’s goal, first with Kyle Jones hooking a shot over the bar. Cardiff themselves pushed for an insurance goal and Caleb Hughes hit a free-kick over the wall but Davies punched away his effort.


Cambrian drew inspiration in the last quarter from their substitutions and went near to scoring. Jacob Cross’ flicked header was blocked on the line by Josh Beecher as Cardiff tried to see out the game. The hosts remained in the game when Morgan Wigley’s well-weighted shot was hit at Davies who blocked with his hand.

As the game entered stoppage time, Cardiff’s youthful defence learned a harsh lesson. Ceri Morgan found space on the flank and his low cross swept passed everyone including the goalkeeper to level proceedings. Neither team could find a winner and the game went to penalties.

Cambrian took a commanding 3-1 lead on penalties as Morgan Davies saved James Crole and Morgan Wrigley’s effort, whilst David Thomas, Ceri Morgan, and Cam Keetch all scored theirs.

Cardiff’s captain Dylan Lawlor dealt with the pressure to score his penalty and keep them in the tie and he was rewarded after Tim Parker missed his. Caleb Hughes stepped up and scored his and Cambrian spurned their chance again as Aarran Caffell missed. Cardiff – surviving a two-penalty deficit went ahead through Will Spiers and then with the last spot kick Dan Spencer blazed his effort over the bar.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *